5/8/09

All Hail Dorothy....


(Psssst... it's a repost.  You can move along....I won't be offended!!  x0x0x)


I am a middle child. I have an older sister and a younger brother. My brother (the one who sold peeks into the bathroom of us to his boyhood chums for a quarter) I will introduce to you soon, but it’s my sister I’m going to share with you today.

You remember her, don’t you? She’s the one we hold close to our hearts after the tragic loss of her youngest son.

Karen is fifteen months older than me, and for reasons that will become clear in a moment, was held back in second grade to be in my class.

We traveled in school together a bit like twins. We had a slew of friends, participated in brownies and girl scouts together (except I was the bad-ass one always in trouble); were cheerleaders together and graduated together. I was always a bit jealous of her great beauty and her big boobs. She was chosen to be on the homecoming court our senior year, and I was voted most outgoing. I would have swapped places with her in a New York minute.

There are some moments that I remember clearly from our childhood. Every year our mother made our Halloween costumes. In fourth grade she brought our costumes to school, having to work until the last minute before the big Costume Contest. (Holy crap, I just realized where I get the procrastination gene!!!) Karen’s costume was an incredible Fairy Godmother one, covered in sequins and was finished with an incredible wand. It was unbelievable. Mine? A tiny little polka dotted gypsy skirt, a black body suit, a mask and black fishnets. I’m still pissed…35 years later. That was also the year she beat me at the class Simon Says dance contest (remember, I snuck my mom’s garter belts to school and they fell down during the dance??).

Now, 35 years later, here we are. We’ve each had three children fairly close in age; talk on the phone every other day, we laugh our asses off together; go to tag sales, the goodwill, thrift shops and enjoy a nice piece of warm sour dough bread slathered in hot butter and a slice of brie. We love each other more than words can say.

Oh, and one minor detail I forgot to mention.

She’s deaf.



26 comments:

For Myself said...

FIRST! Love this one!!!

Deb@Mommie Mayhem said...

Great post !!

Proud Wifey And Mommii of 3 said...

Amazing post. Love it!

namaste said...

deaf?! wow you are each amazing and you have a WONDERFUL family.

i loved this post!

~maria

Mary said...

That was like being hit in the chest with a sledge hammer......I did not see that coming.

You are amazing in your writing - this is life and you present it with a compassion and a humor...

Re post all you want - I missed it the first time.

Bless you

♥ Braja said...

OK i'm gonna need some time...

xoxo

Unknown said...

It sounds like she gets mucho love and compassion from you and the rest of your family and has become a strong woman because of it.

Repost away, please!

trash talk said...

This post is like meatloaf...it gets better each time it is served.
Debbie

Peggy said...

I didn't see the last line coming either...now I see whay you have 774 followers....I'm so glad I found you cause you make me laugh!
I often wish that I had a sister. You are lucky and funny!

Melissa said...

What an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

This always was one of my favorite of your posts. I totally dig your sister! And I relate to the ear challenges.

Mrs. E said...

I only caught your blog at the end of your 1st time around. Sooo... repost to your heart's content! I'm reading it all for the first time and you, my dear, tell a great story! I'm lovin' you & your blog!

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

OK, I have a feeling I'm going to be repeatedly saying this as I continue to read you, but this is my favorite post so far.

Yo said...

i love this post. i love sisters.

SkylersDad said...

First time for this post for me, and I truly loved it!

Char said...

There is nothing like sisters! Those of us who are lucky enough to have them are truely blessed.

The Stiletto Mom said...

Is there anything better than sharing warm sourdough slathered in brie with someone you love? I think not.

Except maybe sharing vodka.

King of New York Hacks said...

All that in a New York Minute ?? Sounds like the only thing missing is the drive home from The King of NYC Hacks !!!! LOL Great Post !!!

zelzee said...

No better friend in the world than a sister........
This I know.........

Eternal Lizdom said...

I don't have a sister that I grew up with, shared childhood memories with. I have a very, very close girlffriend and we often find it easier to just say we are sisters when strangers ask. But we don't have that childhood bond.

I'm glad you do!

Carolyn...Online said...

Damn those older sisters with the big ta-tas.

This IS The Fun Part! said...

I love this post! My profoundly deaf neice was main-streamed in 5th grade! Didn't learn signing until she was a junior in high school. Was a world ranked swimmer (went to college on a swimming scholarship) and still swims seniors. Has three kids now, still works at the bank she started working for when she was 22 and trains new employees. Even travels to train in other branches. Her lip reading scares me. There are NO secrets when she's around!

I wish I had ever taken advantage of my skills the way she has used hers!

And just to top it off, she's great looking, has a killer figure and is sweet as she can be!

Grannie

An Unlikely Retirement said...

I love this post even more the second time around.

Sarah Lulu said...

G'day it's lovely to meet you.

AND that was fantastic.

Kirsten D said...

I think I'm gonna cry now. I've been reading your blog for the laughs I get out of it, especially in regards to all the teaching posts, and I just stumbled across this entry. I wear hearing aids, have all my life, and I never hear about another person with them. So, thank you for making me feel like I'm not the only person out there with them. <3

yanmaneee said...

timberland outlet
fila
air max 270
yeezy boost 350
cheap jordans
lebron 10
kd shoes
lacoste outlet
coach factory outlet
kyrie 3